How To Successfully Advertise Your Business
There are many ways to successfully advertise your business, especially if you put forth the effort and get creative. “Many a small thing has been made large by the right kind of advertising,” said Mark Twain.
To keep your competitors from getting the money from the consumers looking to buy what you offer, keeping your brand at the front of people’s minds is critical to your success. Many small business owners cut their advertising budgets first when they have cash flow concerns, but that often leads to fewer customers and loss of business. To stay in business, it is usually necessary to advertise.
Here are 10 best practices to successfully advertise your business:
- The truth, as basic as it can be, is we are all in marketing. If we are hoping to gain something, we are in marketing. Businesses have to advertise to get recognized. Embrace that fact and commit to advertising.
- To advertise your brand, think locally. It isn’t necessary to think big when it comes to marketing. Evaluate your most likely customers to know how and where they spend their time. Then determine ways to get their attention. Sponsor sports teams or charity events. Give out cheap t-shirts or bookmarks. Run easy contests in popular groups or organizations and donate to them. Just keep your name in the public.
- Networking is a great way to build a business. Put yourself out there and get to know others. A strong network is one of the greatest assets a business owner can have and it pays to think long term and put in the time and effort to build one.
- Ask for customer referrals and reviews. Believe in your product or service and use the help of your happy customers to create new customers. Reviews are the new word-of-mouth and consumers turn to them almost 90% of the time before buying products or services. Having ten or more positive reviews on popular internet review websites will help consumers decide to buy from you.
- Build relationships with your customers. It is often less expensive to keep customers than it is to find new ones. People love recognition and attention. Be interested in your customers and give them reasons to keep coming back.
- Free is a powerful attention grabber. People love getting stuff for free, especially if the free items are things they would normally purchase. The free product or service doesn’t have to be expensive either. Combine whatever you offer for free with other products or services they have to purchase. Then they can experience what you have to offer and hopefully like it. Research shows that consumers normally return for products or services they have experienced and liked.
- Coupons are a great way for businesses to attract new customers. Research shows that consumers will go out of their way to use a coupon. They also generate return visits. Coupons have proven for decades to create profitable advertising, and when the offers are good, consumers will use them.
- Always be honest. Nothing is any faster than the speed of trust and it can be lost quicker than gained. Being upfront and honest generates respect and appreciation. A bad reputation and failed relationships are expensive. Always be honest to protect your reputation.
- Honor the offers and coupons of your competitors. If the offers are good enough to create business for them, it is good practice for your business to accept them too. This way you retain the customers you have and possibly gain new ones.
- Always reflect positive energy. This may be hard at times, but positive people are usually popular and liked more by others. Showing kindness, appreciation, and being nice pays off more than the opposite. Being negative is expensive. Keep this popular quote in mind: “People may forget what you say and do, but they will never forget how you make them feel”.
As long as consumers know your company exists and you provide good products and services, the chances of your success are greatly improved. Following these best practices to successfully advertise your business should pay off short term and long term.